The Tortellini Affair

If only that innkeeper hadn’t been so nosy.

I’ve always a massive fan of tortellini, the ring-shaped pasta that's packed with meat or cheese and tons of deliciousness.

However, a recent incident has me reconsidering my love for these yummy little hoops.

Like any beloved food, the origin of tortellini is disputed, with both the cities of Bologna and Modena claiming to be its birthplace.

As far as its appearance, one legend—there are apparently several--has it that tortellini got its unique shape after Venus, the goddess of love herself, once stayed at an inn.

The innkeeper, overcome by her beauty, spied on her through a keyhole and since all he could see was her bellybutton, he created a pasta in this shape.

This would explain the term "ombelico di Venere", or Venus' navel, that is occasionally used to describe tortellini.

I try to keep my pasta consumption down, but for the last few weeks I’ve been picking up tortellini at my local supermarket for lunch.

I don’t eat it that often, so what’s the harm?

Well, none, really. It’s just a matter of getting it home that’s the problem.

Last week I bought a pound of the stuff which I planned to use for two lunches over my five-day workweek.

But when I opened my refrigerator on Tuesday afternoon there was no sign of my food.

I tried not to panic, figuring—hoping—that I had forgotten to buy it. Or maybe I had left it at the deli counter like I did two weeks ago.

But I checked the receipt—yes, I actually saved it—and found that I had shelled out 8 bucks for a bucket of omeblici that I didn’t have.

I knew I should’ve gotten the kale salad.

Summer Rerun

I called the supermarket and one of the staff told me that the store keeps a record of items that people have left behind. Unfortunately, my tortellini didn’t make the list.

The woman told me I could come to the store, and they would check the store video system to see what had happened to my lunch. And I thought about doing this.

But when I walked into the store on Friday morning it just sounded so ridiculous. Checking video footage for missing tortellini like I’m reviewing the Zapruder film?

If that innkeeper hadn’t been such a degenerate, he wouldn’t have looked through that keyhole, so there would’ve been no tortellini and, thus, none of this aggravation for me.

Or mybe I could be more attentive.

Now, I vaguely remember hearing something hit the ground as I took my groceries home. I didn’t see anything when I turned to look, but I wonder if the container fell out of my cart.

If this were a one-time incident I wouldn’t mind so much, but I’ve been losing things recently.

I’m not a young man by any stretch and every time I forgot something like this I start to wonder if it’s something more serious than mere forgetfulness.

Last month, I left my bank card in the ATM at my local branch. I got my cash and just walked out the damn door.

I alerted my bank as soon as I realized that the card was missing but not before some asshat had bought himself coffee at Dunkin Donuts and a pair of sneakers at Footlocker on my dime. Or a whole bunch of dimes, actually.

I would’ve turned a lost card over to the bank, but there’s no accounting for people, is there?

Maybe this guy stole my food, too. I can just see him, sipping his coffee, resting his new sneakers on a table while scarfing down my tortellini. Choke on it, you bum.

This week I changed up my order and went with rainbow pasta, which I’m happy to say is safely residing in my refrigerator.

Let's hope it stays there.

Comments

Bijoux said…
Ugh. It’s easy to do. I know I’m hyper-vigilant when I’m at the ATM, making sure no one sees my password and trying to cram the wad of cash into my purse. I can easily imagine walking away without the card. At least you know you won’t do that again, because now you’ll be hyper-aware.
Rob Lenihan said…
Hi, Bijoux!

Yes, I'm trying to learn from these experiences. So now I don't leave the ATM until I'm certain I have my bank card.

Take care!
Jay said…
Oh, that's awful having your card stolen and used. :(
As to the shopping, I've left things at the checkout, or in my car to get ruined when they fall out of the bag on the way home and I don't notice it's happened. And I've seen plenty of food items on the ground in a parking bay, or in returned trolleys (carts), too. People in a hurry sometimes don't notice things getting dislodged or falling out of bags. You're not alone!!
Rob Lenihan said…

Hey, Jay, great to hear from you!

And, as always, you lift my spirits!

It's nice to be alone in this forgetful business, so I think we all need to take a collective sigh and slow down.

Much love!
Rob, I don't mean to make light of the missing tortellini but when you sai the store would check the video, I was laughing because I didn't know they would do that and it did sound a bit over the top. Don't get me wrong, I would have been upset too at spending the $ and having nothing to show or rather eat for it.

The more serious issue was forgetting your ATM card and then having someone treat him/her self to coffee and sneakers which sounds like a far more costly mishap...I've heard the coffee prices are high at DD 😉 BTW I don't think the missing tortellini was enjoyed by that person.

We will be traveling abroad in the fall, first time in over 50 years, already I am hoping that nothing gets misplaced.




Rob Lenihan said…

Hi, Dorothy!

Yes, I just couldn't see myself reviewing tapes of the checkout counter.

I believe "Modern Family" had an episode where this happened and everyone in the woman's family thinks she's nuts.

The ATM thing was much worse and I check on that thing now several times a day.

That fall trip sounds fantastic! Don't worry about misplacing stuff--just enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’