Crime Scenes

Whenever I’m anywhere near 75th Street and Fifth Avenue, I like to stop off at the Lincoln Savings Bank.

This fabulous old building is now a Chase branch, but it will always be the Lincoln to me because my mother used to work there many years ago selling Savings Bank Life Insurance.

Her desk was near the front door, and I used to drop in on her from time to time and shoot the breeze.

The place is sacred ground to me, so when I go there, I like to stand at the spot where her desk used to be and say a prayer.

That intersection became a crime scene last week—one of several throughout my neighborhood when a man with a history of mental illness struck at least 8 people with a U-Haul van.

Ye YiJie, who moved to this country from China 18 years ago, was killed outside the Lincoln Savings Bank. A father of three teenagers, he was the only victim to die.

I first learned about the rampage when my phone lit up with a bulletin about an attack in Brooklyn. I was frightened, but I reminded myself that Brooklyn is a very big place, and it could be happening miles away from me.

And then I saw that it was going on right here in Bay Ridge.

I called my sister, who lives about 20 blocks from me, and, of course, I couldn’t reach her immediately. And, of course, I freaked out.

There was this surreal stretch of time where I kept telling myself that everything was okay, while praying for my sister’s safety and still trying to my job.

'I Will Not Give In'

A lot of other people were experiencing the same emotions that day and I felt very happy when my sister called me back.

The victims were struck in several locations during the rampage, including one person who was hit on the corner of the block where I grew up.

The killer reportedly said that he was seeing things and told police officers “Shoot me. I will not give in.”

And on the same day, another deranged man went on a rampage at Michigan State University and shot three people to death. The gunman later killed himself.

Several MSU students were also at Oxford High School in 2021 when four people were shot to death and seven others were wounded.

One of the MSU students, Jackie Matthews, was also in lockdown during the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, 10 years ago, where 20 children and six adults were killed.

She recalled hiding under desks with her classmates for so long that she fractured vertebrae, an injury that to this day flares up when she’s under stress.

“The fact that this is the second mass shooting that I have now lived through is incomprehensible,” she said in a TikTok video.

I’d like to believe that, but in this bullet-riddled country we probably shouldn’t be surprised. The gun lobby rules this country and like the maniac in the van, they will not give in.

And I'm sure the gun-loving loons will point to the van attack and drop the old "guns don't kill people" line. I know that we'll never be able to stop murders, but we shouldn't be making it so goddamn easy.

The blood-soaked week ended on Friday with a man in Mississippi gunning down six people, including in his ex-wife, and a shooting at a gas station in Columbus, Georgia where 9 children were wounded.

I went to the Lincoln Savings Bank on Saturday morning. I had lot of people to pray for.

Comments

Bijoux said…
I remember you writing about the bank where your mom worked. That is frightening when you can’t reach your loved ones during a tragedy so close to home.I remember the fear I felt when I was worried my niece was in Chardon HS during the shooting there in 2012 (fortunately she was only in 8th grade, but still at the middle school next door).

I’m glad you and your sister are safe. No matter who is in office, nothing ever changes does it? I’m over politics.
Jay said…
For us, here in the UK, the situation with gun laws and mass shootings in the USA is totally incomprehensible. We simply cannot wrap our heads around the fact that your governing bodies are so under the thumb of the NRA that they won't make the necessary law changes to protect their citizens. As I underatand it, when mass shootings began to happen in Australia, the laws were changed and the shootings ceased - or at least, went back to being a rare occurance. Australians can still carry guns, but it's now much more tightly controlled. And it seems to me (an Englishwoman looking at things from a distance and not perhaps as informed as I think) that the whole 'right to bear arms' thing being in the constitution is based on a deliberate misunderstanding. Am I not right in thinking that this particular clause was meant to refer to a people's militia in times of unrest or civil war, NOT to going shopping in Walmart? And what the hell is wrong with a simple background check to make sure that a person is fit to be in charge of a gun? All very well to say that these things are 'the work of a mentally unstable person/madman/whatever but why not make sure that anyone who has proven to be dangerously unhinged & violent cannot buy a weapon? It's baffling and frustrating, and we are NOT coming back to the States until things improve.
Rob Lenihan said…


Hey, Jay, you nailed it!

The Australians had one mass shooting and they passed tougher gun laws the very next day.

The NRA liars are indeed deliberately misinterpreting the Second Amendment which specifically mentions a well-armed state militia.

And it was written back when we had single shot weapons that took forever to reload.

There is nothing wrong with background checks--except that Republicans are shamelessly appealing to the lunatic fringe to get votes.

Several states are eliminating concealed weapon permits. I'm sorry you won't be coming back here, but I can't blame you.

Stay safe and I'll visit you in the U.K.
Rob Lenihan said…

Hey, Bijoux:

That situation with your niece must have been terrible.

Thank you so much for concern. Nothing seems to change in this country.

Stay safe.
Knowing from your blog posts, how close you and your sister are, Rob, I can understand how frightened and upset you were at not being able to reach her when tragedy unfolded so close to home. While I was not reading your blog when you told about your mother working at for former Lincoln Savings Bank, I can understand how revisiting the location gives you a measure of comfort.

The killing of YeYiJie was tragic and senseless. There should be no mercy towards the man driving that U-Haul van. Sorry if that makes me sound unsympathetic towards someone with a mental illness, but the fact that he and many others with a history of this illness kill innocent people is unacceptable.
Rob Lenihan said…

Hi, Dorothy!

Thanks for concern and kindness. It was so scary not being able to reach my sister.

My sister doesn't like to visit the Lincoln, as she finds it upsetting. She says she gets comfort visiting our parents' grave--something that I find upsetting. People handle their grief differently.

That poor man's murder is heartbreaking. And I'm feeling any love for his killer either. I'm tired of innocent, hard-working people being murdered.

Stay safe!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’