Dark Holiday

It’s Christmas and what better way to celebrate the most wonderful time of the year than by watching one of the scariest movies in creation?

My sister and I did that very thing recently when we viewed The Haunting, Robert Wise’s stunning 1963 adaption of Shirley Jackson’s novel, The Haunting of Hill House.

This film has been scaring the screaming bejeezus out of my family for a generation and I am happy to report that it delivered the ghoulish goods once again.

We had gotten together for one of our Saturday sanity sessions, where we emerge from our respective Covid cocoons for dinner, TV, and some much-needed social interaction.

Netflix was on the fritz on this particular evening, so after rummaging through my sister's DVR collection, we settled upon our favorite fright flick.

I was thinking that this was an odd choice given the time of year, but then I remember that A Christmas Carol, the mother of all holiday stories—is packed to the rafters with all manner of things that go bump in the night.

Christmas as celebrated in Europe and the U.S. was originally connected to the “pagan” Winter Solstice celebration and the festival known as Yule, according to Justin Daniels, a religious studies professor at the University of Pennsylvania.

And now with the coronavirus breathing foully down our necks, a good ghost story offers a nice distraction from the dismal reality.

Shot in black and white, The Haunting tells the story of paranormal researcher who assembles a group of people at Hill House, a notorious New England mansion with a history of violent deaths.

“Hill House had stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more,” Dr. Markway, the researcher tells us at the film’s opening. “Silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there... walked alone.”

Oy vey, I’m getting scared all over again...

The group members have all sorts of tangled emotions that the evil old house feeds on, which is something I never noticed as a child, as I was only interested in the spooky stuff.

'A House that was Born Bad’

One of them, Eleanor, is emotionally unstable and her condition rapidly deteriorates when she comes to Hill House.

Julie Harris, who portrayed Eleanor, was suffering from depression at the time she was filming the movie and she channeled her own issues into the character.

Claire Bloom plays Theo, a clairvoyant, who is a lesbian, although the censors of the day decreed that her character could not touch Eleanor.

Wise made the film as a tribute to his mentor, Val Lewton, the producer of such horror classics as Cat People, I Walk with a Zombie, and Wise’s first directorial effort, Curse of the Cat People.

Lewton believed that people were more afraid of the unknown than things they could see and that philosophy is on full display in The Haunting.

There are no severed heads, no gallons of fake blood spraying across the screen, none of the stomach-turning crap you see in so many of today’s slasher movies.

No, this film brilliantly uses sound and darkness to fill you with an overwhelming sense of dread—even after multiple viewings.

One of the most frightening scenes starts with off with a thunderous pounding in the middle of the night that grows louder and gets closer to the Eleanor and Theo, and while I was watching it, I had a flashback to a childhood vacation in the Poconos.

We were staying in this cottage and our parents had rented a TV just so we could watch The Haunting. We were away from the city's bright lights and being up in the woods, where the darkness is real, made the movie much more terrifying.

Okay, then. So, we had our devilish little detour and now we’re gearing up for our holiday dinner, where we’ll eat, drink and watch Ebenezer Scrooge get put through the supernatural ringer.

I can’t wait to hear Marley’s ghost hit those high notes.

Comments

Ron said…
OMG Rob, I freaking can't believe you mentioned "The Haunting" because I just recently watched that film, maybe four weeks ago. I had seen it before, but I was in the mood for a scary movie so I found it online and watched it. Fabulous! Also, it has one of my all-time favorite actresses in it, Julie Harris. Loved that woman! I also loved Claire Bloom. Wonderful actress!

"No, this film brilliantly uses sound and darkness to fill you with an overwhelming sense of dread—even after multiple viewings."

You got that right! It's edge-of-your-seat scary.

"We were staying in this cottage and our parents had rented a TV just so we could watch The Haunting. We were away from the city's bright lights and being up in the woods, where the darkness is real, made the movie much more terrifying."

And that's exactly how I like to watch a scary movie because it makes it all the more scarier. I like to even turn off all the lights so that I'm sitting in the dark. I LOVE to be scared. LOL!

Great choice in a film, Rob! It's a classic!

And speaking of scary films, I just watched "Audrey Rose" which I also found online. It's all shot in NYC (1977) and stars Marsh Mason and Anthony Hopkins, who I adore! The movie is based off a true story (book) about a boy. However, in the movie it's about a girl.

Have a spooktacular week, buddy!
Bijoux said…
I’m not one to watch horror films, but because there’s no blood bath, it doesn’t sound half bad.

Rob, I hope your Christmas is filled with good cheer and all things merry and bright.
Rob K said…
Hey, Bijoux:

Yes, I hate those slasher flicks. This movie creates a sense of evil that you can feel, so it's frightening rather than just sickening.

I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Take care!
Rob K said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob K said…
@Ron: Hey, Ron! What's up? Isn't this movie a hoot?

I enjoy it so much because it so well-made and so well-acted. Julie Harris and Clair Bloom are perfect in their respective roles and the characters have these complex emotions that crank up the evil that rules that awful house.

I remember when "Audrey Rose" came out, but I never saw it. I'll make sure to check it out. Thanks, buddy, and have a great holiday!
Rob, I'm ready for a change in movie watching after we've been watching all the holiday films in our DVD collection and some of those on Netflix. yesterday, I watched a couple of older Hallmark Christmas movies, FREE on YouTube. Surprisingly, these were better than most of the recent Netflix produced rom-coms.

But, I could use a change and while I too do NOT watch horror or slasher films, The Haunting of Hill House, might be worth a viewing based on your stellar recommendation. Shirley Jackson was a master of this genre.

And given that this past fall, we visited a few New England "castles" which were actually former mansions, it's definitely right up our alley and B&W makes it even better!

Thanks, Ron, for the info. Nice that you and sister are meeting weekly for dinner and shared viewing, and much needed socialization.

Best wishes to you both for a very Merry Christmas and Happier New Year!
Hi Rob, I checked out trailers for this film online, and while I have enjoyed some of Shirley Jackson’s stories, this movie was not for me. I am somewhat of a nervous nellie when it comes to screams in the night. Maybe it’s why I have never watched Psycho as well.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family! :-)

Greetings from London.
Thanks for the vintage film recommend, Rob, and I tried to enjoy this film, but it wasn’t to my liking. That said, Shirley Jackson is a masterful story teller of her genre and I will stay with reading her works.

I have never been a fan of horror, supernatural or even science fiction films and while I know there are classics out there, I prefer to watch vintage dramas and comedies. But glad to read that you and sister had a great movie night get together.

Best wishes to you, and us all, for a Happier New Year and I will look forward to reading your posts in blog land.
Rob K said…

Hey, no worries, Beatrice. Scary stories ain't for everybody.

And thanks for for the New Year's wishes. I wish you and your loved ones a healthy and happy 2021!
Rob K said…
@A Cuban in London:

Mario, thank you so much! My best to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Getting Connected

‘Permanently Closed’