‘The Truth is My Light’

“Some people dream of success, while other people get up every morning and make it happen.” -- Wayne Huizenga

In Latin, the phrase is “veritas lux mea.”

It is the motto of Seoul National University, among other things, and it can be translated as “the truth is my light,” or “the truth enlightens me.”

Either way, these words will be my guide for 2020—and beyond.

Yes, we’re coming up to New Year’s Day, that wacky time of year when I gear up to make all sorts of incredible changes in my life.

And even though the ball won’t be coming down in Times Square for a few days yet, I’m already feeling the January jitters, an entirely self-inflicted and completely insane need to rebuild my entire existence from the DNA up.

Nothing outrageous, of course. I just want to finish my novel, shoot a film, produce a play, move to Los Angeles, and fall madly in love all before Groundhog’s Day.

Hmm…perhaps that’s a little too ambitious.

Now I just want to say that 2019 was a darn good year. I got a new job, continued work on the new novel, and made some serious attempts at expanding my social circle.

But-to be truthful-I would like to do more.

My writing habits have slipped lately, my socializing has slowed down in recent months, and I’m still wasting too much time and energy looking over my shoulder.

And here’s where I want to apply some of that veritas lux mea. I want to be more truthful to myself about what I’m doing--or not doing--to improve my life.

God’s first words in the Bible are “Let there be light.” Lately I’ve been repeating that line to myself whenever I feel anger or negativity building up in me.

Light it Up!

Dark emotions can’t stand the light.

When Judas betrayed Jesus, he went out, the Gospels say, “and it was night.” So, beware the darkness in your heart.

I’ve also been YouTubing a slew of self-help videos in preparation for the upcoming new decade. Of course, I am ultimately responsible for my own life, but I never say no to good advice—especially when it’s free.

Joe Dispenza, for example, stresses the importance of gratitude and mindfulness, and putting the past behind us so that we can focus on the present and the future.

Another guy I like, Ed Mylett, had one of the best descriptions of self-confidence that I’ve heard.

“When I see someone that truly self-confident,” he said in one of his videos, “I know that’s someone who keep promises to himself. He’s built a good reputation with himself.”


So, self-confidence is an internal process. We’ve all seen swaggering loudmouths who claim to be so sure of themselves, but who are, in reality, frightened, emotionally stunted people.

(Hint: there’s one of them in the White House right now.)

Mylett is talking about people who vow to do something—lose weight, start a business, get a new job, or any other life-altering action—and actually do it.

These people don’t make excuses; they get results.

And they don’t lie to themselves. They allow the truth to be their light.

I’ve been writing down promises for the new year that I want to keep to myself. They include writing more regularly, socializing more, and drinking less diet soda and more water.

The Bible says the truth shall make you free. It may not make you happy, or rich, or popular, and there’s a good chance it’s going hurt to like a bastard.

But the pain will pass, God willing, you’ll come away a better person whose vision will be 2020 no matter how bad your bad eyesight is.

Happy New Year.

Comments

Bijoux said…
This post reminded me of a sermon I heard once about darkness and light. It made me realize that the reason I have trouble sleeping is that the darkness brings out fear and worries. Usually, things are not so bad in broad daylight. I try to remember that when I'm riding the crazy train at 3am!

I hope 2020 brings great things your way, Rob. Keep turning towards the light!
Ron said…
“veritas lux mea.”

I love that Rob, because there is so much truth in it! We start off questioning our truth because we often doubt it. But you're right...our "truth" is what enlightens us because it takes us on our own journey; teaching us what we came here to learn about ourselves.

I think your 2019 was a damn good year because you've consciously stayed aware of your old mental tapes; examined them, and then changed your perspective. You've grown a lot!

Yes, you're right, self-confidence is an internal process. And the key word there is "process." I believe my life is a journey (a process) of learning from the past, and then using it to progress forward.

2019 was a good year for me too because I made quite a few changes in my life, which gave me more faith in trusting where I'm guided to go. And although I've pretty much been a person who is very grateful for all the blessings in my life, this year I felt myself even more grateful.

Thank you for always sharing your journey with us, buddy! Wishing you a New Year filled with even more growth, more self-confidence, and more blessings!

Cheers!
Rob Lenihan said…
Hey, Ron!

Thanks so much for your faith in me. I think I have grown over this year and I want to keep this going into the New Year!

And I'm so happy that 2019 was a good year for you as well. I admire your ability to appreciate your life's blessings and I've learned so much from your example. You deserve the best that this life has to offer!

I'm so glad that you are a part of my journey. Take care of yourself, buddy, and have a happy and healthy New Year!
Rob Lenihan said…
@Bijoux:

You're so right--darkness does bring out fear and worry. We all have dark emotions that we'd rather not confront. But light is a cleansing force that allows the chance to move on and be happy.

I hope and pray that 2020 is a great year for you and your loved ones!

Happy New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected