Past Picture Perfect

I wish I had a camera.

You don’t hear that line much anymore in this age of smart phones that take photos, give directions, translate other languages, send text messages, give mambo lessons, and, oh, yeah, make calls.

But I remember the days when you’d see something cool or exciting or beautiful and you’d stand there just awestruck by whatever the hell you were looking at for a few seconds until you realized you have no way of sharing this moment with others—except by telling them about it.

I’m not knocking story-telling by any means, but sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand clichés.

This mini-rant is brought to you by a stray memory that came sliding into my mind yesterday and refused to leave. It was back in the Seventies, somewhere in the vicinity of a little town called Peru, Vermont, where my family and I were staying for a few weeks.

One night we were coming of a local restaurant and heading back to our car when something caught my eye.

It was two dogs sitting inside a parked car--one behind the wheel, the other sitting in the passenger seat.

They were looking straight ahead and they seemed ready to crank up the engine and go for a drive around town. A professional animal photographer could not have set this up better.

I quickly turned to my family and pointed at the car-bound canines, whereupon my mother let out this tremendous laugh.

“Look at them!” she said.

Unfortunately, none of us had a camera. Smart phones didn’t exist back then, of course, but why the hell didn’t one of us have a film camera? My parents had given me cameras as presents when I was growing up, but for whatever reason I wasn’t packing one of them.

It’s just so annoying because I’m sure a picture of these two dogs would’ve gotten some kind award or prize. But I guess photographs had more value back then because it was tougher to get good ones.

We had a good laugh, drove back to our motel, and eventually forgot about the two driving dogs.

Flash in the Pan

Last week I was tooling around on YouTube last week when I came across a video of Sting and Bruce Springsteen from October 1988 teaming up to sing “Every Breath You Take.”

I waste far too much time on YouTube, but I’m almost able to forgive myself when I come across gems like these. One of the people writing in the comment section made an intriguing observation.

Not a single freaking phone in the air,” this person wrote. “Only people actually enjoying the hell out of this amazing concert. Good times.”

I realized how right this person was. There were no raised hands clutching I-phones, no relentless flash attack, and no crappy amateur videos that people insist on shooting and posting.

This was 1988 bro,” another commenter wrote. “When life was simple and FUN!!!

I think this second person is getting a little too nostalgic. I have fond memories of the Eighties, too—mostly because I was younger—but does anyone want to give up smartphones and the Internet for fax machines and beepers?


Beepers were the killer device in that distance decade, but today they seem about as sophisticated as a flintlock pistol.

I confess I’m guilty of being a camera hound, as I take photos of nearly anything that catches my eye—mostly because I can.

You don’t have to worry about getting film developed or even taking a bad shot because you can either take dozens more or digitally doctor the original photo until it looks just the way you want it.

All this picture-taking could have serious implications down the road for our beleaguered brains.

A recent article in Vox warned that “in many cases, scientists are finding that constant photo taking actually diminishes our ability to recall our experiences, diverts our attention, and takes us out of the moment.”

I have firsthand experience with this phenomenon. My sister and I were watching a fireworks display at Coney Island one summer night when she pointed out that I wasn’t really watching at all. I was too busy taking photos of the rockets’ red glare.

“You’re not watching the fireworks,” she said.

Point well taken. I’ll try to enjoy experiences while they happen, instead of trying to memorialize them ever so briefly for Facebook.

Now I should mention here that I’m working on a story involving a dog, so I suspect that’s where this seemingly random recollection actually comes from. To be honest, I think my favorite part of that double dog moment in Vermont isn’t so much the dogs themselves, but the beautiful sound of my mother’s laughter.

And you can’t take a picture of that.

Comments

Bijoux said…
Great ending! And yes, I'm guilty of taking photos instead of watching sometimes. I have seen dogs in the driver's seat before, and it really is a hoot! They can really resemble people at times.
Rob K said…
Hey, Bijoux!

Thanks so much! It's so tempting to take photos all the time because it's so easy--and inexpensive.

Dogs resemble people at times, yes, but for the most part, they're so much nicer!

Take care!
Ron said…
Rob, I freaking LOVE this post because I was just talking to someone at work about this very same topic, I kid you not!

Don't get me wrong, I love my camera and taking pictures. However, with the invention of the cell phone camera (and Instagram) sooooooooooo many people spend their entire day taking pictures of every single moment of their lives and share it online. I'm on Instagram, but I post about once or twice every other week. Yet, I follow some people who post 3-4 times a day, EVERY SINGLE DAY. I'm like, how the hell do they have time to do that??!?

I honestly feel that if people are constantly taking pictures of every moment of their lives, then they are not "living" the moments, they're "observing" the moments.

"Not a single freaking phone in the air,” this person wrote. “Only people actually enjoying the hell out of this amazing concert. Good times.”

Yes, exactly!

I've even cut back on the amount of time I blog because for years all I ever did was constantly say to myself, "Oh...I have to blog about this...I have to blog about this..." All I ever did was live my life so that I could document it on my blog and share it with everyone. I grew tired of sharing every moment of my life online. Now, I just want to live it and share occasional moments.

FANTASTIC post, buddy! So glad you shared this!

Have a fab week!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, I really appreciate your comments.

You're a fabulous photographer, so you really respect the craft and you post excellent work. It's just that some people take a picture of every damn thing they see, so powerful images tend to lose their value.

I love your blog posts, too, but I certainly why you wanted to cut down. You want to live your life and not blog about it.

Take care of yourself, buddy, and have a great week!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected