Fish Story

Okay, I admit it: I actually enjoyed “The Shape of Water.”

This may sound like an admission of defeat, but I am happy to wave the white flag and confess that while I was all set to thoroughly detest Guillermo del Toro’s Oscar-winning film—and write a vicious post about it—the director’s incredible vision triumphed over his soggy storyline.

I’ve been a huge del Toro fan ever since I saw “Cronos” in 1993 and “Pan’s Labyrinth” was so beautiful I was sobbing in the theater while the credits rolled.

This probably explains why the people in my row were filing out so quickly, but I was too busy wiping the tears away to pay much attention to them.

Lately, however, I’ve been quite disappointed with del Toro’s work. I thought “Crimson Peak” was a half-hearted hack job and his television show “The Strain” was so appropriately named that it hurt. It was indeed a strain to watch that dog and I eventually threw in the remote.

The coming attractions for the “The Shape of Water” didn’t cheer me up in the least.

So, some mute toilet cleaner in the 1960s gets jiggy with the Creature from the Black Lagoon and I’m supposed to give a shit? Hey, lady, I’m sorry you’re lonely, but can’t you hold out for someone who doesn’t have gills?

I was starting to wonder if “Pan’s Labyrinth” was a fluke—and not the fishy kind.

So when I cranked up the DVD player on Friday night I had attitude to spare and a chip on my shoulder the size of the Great Barrier Reef. I was going to whale the screaming bejesus out of this flabby fish tale and flush it straight back to the swampy cesspool from whence it came.

And then I fell in love.

Current Affair

True, the story is predictable, moth-ridden and more than little creepy, but I was completely won over by del Toro’s beautiful directing style.

Sally Hawkins brilliantly portrays Elisa, the nonverbal heroine who lives over a movie theater and who, along with Octavia Spencer, mops up a super-secret government laboratory in JFK-era Baltimore. It’s there that she meets and falls for an amphibious man-like creature that a sadistic government agent, portrayed by Michael Shannon, is eager to slice and dice.

So, we get a seafood salad of “Beauty and the Beast,” “E.T.”, and “Splash.” Yet del Toro resuscitates this tired material with such vigor he could give Dr. Frankenstein a lesson in reanimation.

The story has plot holes so big Moby Dick could swim through them with his eyes closed.


One of the many problems I had with the movie was the fact that even though this watery critter is supposed to be top secret government property, the cleaning lady is somehow able to visit him just about any time she wants.

I’ve been to aquariums with tighter security.

But I’m okay with that, too. I honestly think the real love story here is del Toro’s passion for the movies. The theater downstairs provides a sound track to Eliza’s life and gives her a voice in a beautifully staged and rather bizarre fantasy sequence.

I can’t say if “The Shape of Water” deserved the Academy Award, but “Pan’s Labyrinth” sure as hell did, so if the Oscar crowd was a little late in recognizing del Toro’s talents, they’ve finally redeemed themselves.

I grew up hearing the phrase “movie magic” and I guess that’s what we have here--a cinematic sleight of hand that tricks us so masterfully we don’t mind if we’ve seen it all before.

Comments

Jay said…
I've heard this movie reviewed by Mark Kermode and read a bit about it and on the basis of those things had decided that it wasn't worth going to see. Even though Kermode loved it, the things he said about it gave me the idea that I wouldn't like it. But maybe I should think again, and give it a try?
Rob K said…
Hey, Jay!

I can't promise you'll like this movie, especially given it's lack of originality and, at times, coherence. But I was somehow able to push those pesky details aside and enjoy the film.

You can rent it and if you really hate the thing, you can write me a nasty email! :)
Bijoux said…
I'm not a movie goer, but my son loves movies (his minor was film studies) so now I need to ask him about del Toro.
I still remember Cronos, which I saw at Havana International Film Festival in '84 or '85. Excellent review. I still have reservations about the movie. If it shows at the ICA on a Tuesday, I might go see it (I'd only pay three quid as a member, :-D)

Greetings from London.
Rob K said…
Thanks, Mario!

All I can is that I enjoyed TSOW. It's probably a good idea to see it at a discount.

And if you don't like it, I'll send you the three quid! :)
Rob K said…
@Bijoux:

I minored in film studies, too. I'd be interested to hear his--and most certainly, your--opinion of the flick.
Ron said…
Wonderful review, Rob! And being an film lover, I can't believe that I have never heard of Guillermo del Toro or any of these films. I quickly watched the clip you share in the link to “Pan’s Labyrinth” and LOVED it! I will try and find that online so that I can watch it because just he clip along made me so intrigued. Looks like a film I would REALLY enjoy!

Thanks so much for the review, buddy! Have a faaaaantastic week!
Rob K said…
Hey, Ron:

del Toro's American work has been mostly horror and comic book stuff, like HellBoy, which, while well-made. was pretty much cinematic junk food. Pan's Labyrinth is a great movie and if you see it do keep the tissues handy.

Also check out Cronos and The Devil's Backbone.

Take care, buddy, and I'll see you in the movies!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected