One Lump or Two?

You see them in all corners of this great city of ours, just itching to spring into your life.

New York has a seemingly vast population of unique individuals that some crass folks might refer to as nuts, kooks, weirdos, or freaks.

But, hey, come on, without these characters this town would be nothing more than a plus-size Topeka.

These people are very helpful in the event you forget what city you’re in.

One look at their bizarre antics and you’ll shake your head and say, “Oh, yeah, that's right; I’m in New York.”

Take, for example, the gentleman I spied last week walking down Fourth Avenue here in beautiful Bay Ridge shortly before the start of the New York Marathon.

He was in his forties, wearing shorts and a straw hat and carrying a massive plastic fish slung over his neck like a Gibson guitar.

I’m not sure where he acquired this particular item, but I suspect one of the local seafood restaurants might be missing a sign.

And just to make sure we were all looking at him, this fellow was howling out an ear-splitting rendition of the old Sly and the Family Stone hit, “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)” at the top of his lungs. I honestly don’t think anyone on this earth could stop this guy from being himself.

I would’ve taken his picture but I was concerned he might pummel me with his giant tuna.

Next we have the cheerfully psychotic fellow I unwillingly befriended on the crosstown bus the other night after a theater outing with my sister and auntie.

For some reason, the crosstown bus requires a ticket rather than a Metrocard. The bus driver doesn’t usually ask to see the ticket but you can get an $150 summons if you’re caught without one.

I don't know the logic behind this, but it's not a hardship by any means--at least not for most people.

So the three of us got our tickets, crowd into the bus, and I happen to be standing over this rather stocky chap with a shaved head and a bushy mustache. I thought he was chatting to the woman sitting next to him, but I soon realized he was addressing the world at large.

And then he made eye contact with me.

Lookin’ at the Devil, Grinnin’ at His Gun

Yes, sadly, when it comes to head cases, I’m a walking piece of flypaper. The loons spot me and streak in my direction like salmon surging upstream.

“You got that ticket, huh?” he asked me.

“Yes,” I said, praying the conversation would end there, but knowing it wouldn’t.

“They give you a $150 fine if you don’t got that ticket,” he said. “Man, someone tried to give me a summons I’d lump him up.”

“Yeah..?”

“Yeah,” he declared, “I don’t care if I go to jail. I’d lump him up.”

He seemed quite fond of that expression “lump him up” and said it repeatedly. I was hoping he wouldn’t turn his words into action.

“We don’t got them tickets in Queens,” he said. “You try that in Queens, we’d lump you up.”

It was getting awfully lumpy on this bus, like poorly stirred oatmeal. I kept looking out the window, hoping that our stop would come up soon.

“Let someone try and give me a summons,” my travel companion was saying. “I’d lump him up.”

Yes, sir, I fervently believe that you would lump this person up. Now can we change the subject?

“I’d go to jail,” he said, “I don’t care.”

A seat became available across the aisle, and I sent my keester in downward mode. As I made contact with the nice plastic chair, a woman sitting next to me promptly got up and walked away.

“Don’t worry, lady,” my friend called out to her, “he don’t bite.”

Somehow I don’t think this lady was concerned about me, but was rather attempting to avoid any contact with my buddy. I was going to point this out to him, but I didn't want him to lump me up.

We arrived at our destination, I bid Willy Lump-Lump good night, and bounded off the bus with all due haste. My sister and I had a good laugh about my encounter and I couldn’t wait to tell people about it.

I just hope my plastic fish won’t be jealous.

Comments

Jay said…
Hahaha! Funny thing - my brother was in New York with his fiancee until a few days ago. He said that there were many mad people there, and posted photo of a man hanging upside down over a railing, and a guy busking with an improvised plastic-bucket-and-two-sticks drumkit surrounded by white powder, and wearing only one boot. Someone asked 'does that include you two?' and he said 'Yes - two more makes no difference!' He loved New York.

I often seem to get stuck talking to people like that, too. I find the old advice to humour them works quite well. :D
Rob K said…
Wow, I'm glad your brother and his fiancee had a good time, Jay.

These people do any color to the day, though there is such a thing as too much color. I like your advice--just humor them and get away as soon as possible.
Ron said…
"But, hey, come on, without these characters this town would be nothing more than a plus-size Topeka"

"One look at their bizarre antics and you’ll shake your head and say, “Oh, yeah, that's right; I’m in New York.”

HAHAHAHA! You're spot on, Rob! And THAT'S what makes New York the most diverse, interesting, unique, and FABULOUS city in the US. OMG...I LOVE NYC!!

And yes, New Yorker's can be bizarre, but I also find New Yorker's to be some of the most genuinely kind, helpful, and REAL people.

AWESOME post, Rob! I am so looking forward to moving back to my "Home" next year!
Bijoux said…
Ok, Rob, this cracked me up! I've never heard the term 'lump' used that way....LOL! My son told me a hilarious story from his stay in San Francisco over the summer. A deranged fellow on the train from the airport to the city pulled out a cheese board from his bag and was offering everyone meats and cheeses. Not sure if he pulled it out of a dumpster or what.
Rob K said…
Wow, Bijoux, I've never seen someone offer food--they usually want you buy it for them.

I think it's probably best to decline such an offer!
Rob K said…
@Ron,

I knew you'd get a kick out of this! Yes, New Yorkers have their strange side, but you have plenty of kind, helpful people here as well. And when you here, we'll have one more!

Take care, buddy!
Hilarious. Well, at least he didn't turn his words into reality and lumped you up. :-) We get oddballs like these in Londontown, too. Just today on my way to work and on one of the coldest days so far, I saw a guy in nothing more than a vest and shorts with headphones on and belting his heart out on the street. Everyone around him was wearing at least three layers and he looked as if he'd just come out of a lido in the summer.

Greetings from London.
Rob K said…
Hey, Mario!

It's nice to know you have your share of loons on the other side of the pond as well! I have a terrible aversion to the cold so that fellow with the vest and shorts is definitely my idea of crazy!

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Getting Connected

‘Permanently Closed’