Good Citizen

Christopher sounds like quite a guy: he wants to save the country, build houses for the homeless and be a good citizen.

I became slightly acquainted with Christopher this week while walking along Third Avenue one morning last week. I was coming home from the gym when I saw a composition notebook on the ground.

I have this fascination for lost writings and photos, so naturally I stopped to take a look.

I saw instantly that the notebook belonged to a child—I couldn’t make out the last name, but “Christopher” was written clearly across the cover.

I was a little surprised to see an old-school marble notebook, since I figured kids today are using I-pads, smart phones, and robots to do their homework instead of pencil and paper.

I’m not good at determining children’s ages, but Chris is probably a first or second grader. He proudly declared his desires about adulthood on the first page:

When I grow up I want to be in the army,” he writes, “so I can go and save the country from the bad guys and destroy there (sic) country so they won’t have a home so that is why I want to go to the army so I could save this world.”

I think it’s great that this young man wants to save the world, but I’m not sure joining the army is the best way to do it. And it’s rather depressing that terrorism is on this young man’s mind, but then I guess that’s not surprising given how terror attacks have dominated the news.

My Back Pages

Christopher drew two figures on the bottom of the page, one labeled “Gab” and the other “Me.”

I thumbed through the notebook and found another entry where Christopher said he wants to build houses for the homeless so they’ll have someplace to live. He writes that he wants to be “a good citidisent” which I believe is meant to be “citizen,” but he was close.

I felt badly because I sure that this notebook means a lot to this young boy. I lost a notebook on the subway a few years back and I was devastated. I had used it to write down ideas for stories and other things and while I’m sure it mostly gibberish, I’m equally certain I lost some gems as well.

I keep journals at my shrink’s urging and they’re very helpful.

Journaling is a good form of self-discovery and I find a lot of the things that are troubling me often lose their power once I pick up the pen and commit my fears to paper.

I stood there on the street holding a child's dreams in my hands and wondering what to do.

If Christopher had written his home address or his school in the notebook, I would’ve gladly tracked him down, returned his journal, and encouraged to keep up with the writing.

In the end, I left the notebook right where I found it. Maybe Christopher will retrace his steps and retrieve it, though that seems unlikely.

But I do hope Christopher grows up to live his dreams, that he beats the bad guys and builds homes for the homeless. He sounds like he’ll be a good citidisent and we need more like him.

Comments

Ron said…
Beautifully written post, Rob!

And this is why I love being around children. They are a reminder to us of how our true nature is to reach out and be of help and support to others.

And to remember our dreams.

Thanks so much for sharing, buddy. Wonderful post!

Have a grrrrreat week!
Bijoux said…
It's rather wonderful that you've come across these items! Oh, the innocence of youth!
Rob K said…
Yes, Bijoux, it's sad that Christopher lost his notebook, but it's nice looking at the world through a child's eyes.
Rob K said…
@Ron:

Hey, buddy, how's it going?

I love your observation that children remind us of our true nature and help us remember our dreams! That's just brilliant!

Thanks for stopping by, Ron! Have a great week!
Jay said…
Poor Christopher. i wonder if he'd be pleased to know that a published authour had picked up his notebook, read the entries, and was inspired by what he found there? I bet he would have been awestruck!
Rob K said…
Oh, Jay, you're too kind! And that's why I love ya so damn much!!

Thank you! I'm pretty awestruck by you! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Getting Connected

‘Permanently Closed’