First Day

“With the opening of the New Year, all the closed portals of limitations will be thrown open and I shall move through them to vaster fields, where my worthwhile dreams of life will be fulfilled.” -- Paramahansa Yogananda

It’s the first day of 2011 and I’m starting things off right with a new computer.

This has been a somewhat challenging holiday season, what with aborted travel plans, a wicked sinus infection, a busted computer, and a blizzard that had me wondering if penguins would come waddling down my block. There was a moment when I ready to declare this the worst Christmas of all time.

But I’m feeling better, the new machine is up and running, the snow is (sort of) melting, and I’ve been enjoying a seriously needed stay-cation. I lounged around the house, tossed my diet out the window, and watch hours of stunningly bad TV. It was great.

I’m trying to be realistically positive for this new year. I want to make changes but I’m willing to accept that they won’t happen in the first 24 hours of 2011. It may actually take a few days to totally transform my life.

I got a little bummed earlier this week when I was looking over my resolutions from last year and realized they were pretty much a carbon copy of the things I want to do for this year.

Eat better, be more positive, focus on the present, organize all the crap that I keep tripping over—yeah, I know all that and I still haven’t done most of these things. But New Year’s Day is a chance to try again and maybe get it right this time.

I think what I’d like to do most in 2011 is change my attitude toward the problems and difficulties that are bound to happen in this life. Right now I tend to freeze up and wail “what the hell am I going to do?!?” Believe it or not, this hasn't helped very much.

I would rather look for solutions instead of focusing on the misery, to repair rather than complain, and to move on rather than blow up.

It’s a good thing I have a year to work on this because I’m pretty sure I’m going to need it. And 2011 will probably give me plenty of chances to put this declaration to the test. But if I get it right I can move on to other resolutions next year.

Comments

Ron said…
LOVE the quote you shared here!

And it's so true!

Yaaaay...you got another computer! Doesn't it feel great? I remember when I got my first laptop last year, I was so happy!

"and a blizzard that had me wondering if penguins would come waddling down my block."

HAHAHAHAHA! Too funny! So glad to hear most of the snow has (sort a) melted in NY. You guys got a TON!

"I think what I’d like to do most in 2011 is change my attitude toward the problems and difficulties that are bound to happen in this life."

Right on! That's exactly the same thing I think. It's how I view the problems and difficulties that really matter. Viewing them as great lessons.

Happy New Year, Rob!

I look forward to blogging with you in 2011!

Cheers!
Rob K said…
Happy New Year, Ron. All the best for 2011!

Popular posts from this blog

Land of Enchantment

Missed Connection

Getting Connected